Congregational Chapel – Beaver Lane

The former Congregational Chapel on Beaver Lane, just round the corner from the present day church.
The former Congregational Chapel on Beaver Lane, just round the corner from the present day church.

The following text was written by Jean Smith, an Elder of the Congregational Church.

Beaver Congregational started out by holding open air services under a group of oak trees in South Ashford until the Home Church in Church Road Ashford funded the building of the chapel facing on to Kingsnorth Road which opened on Good Friday 1863. It is not known what the cost of the building was but the final payment to the Home Church was possible following the final fund raising effort in 1891.

In the early 1920s Beaver decided to raise funds to buy a plot of land, at a cost of £105 plus £15 for legal fees and fencing, on the corner of Kingsnorth Road and Cade Road, in the hope of building a new church in the future.

ln June 1955 Outline Planning Approval was given by Ashford Urban District Council for building of a Church and Schoolroom on the plot of land on the corner of Kingsnorth Road and Cade Road.

ln the late 1960s Denmark Road Methodist Church was approached with regard to a possible merger with Beaver Congregational Church and building a new Church on the above plot.  Discussions took place at the same time regarding a merger of Bank Street Methodist Church and the Congregational Church in Ashford and the possibility of rebuilding Kennington Congregational Church.

Continued on Cade Road Church Page.

ccf_000016
George W Salmon, who was Scholar, Teacher and Superintendent at Beaver Congregational Chapel.